Can kiwi be the new super-food for sleep? Kiwi is a pretty standard ingredient in our kitchens. It’s loaded with Vitamin C and antioxidant properties, which helps boost immune system function and enhance cell protection and repair. Studies also point to the high fibre and potassium-rich kiwi as a possible aid to heart health and to respiratory function.
To top all this good news there is now new evidence suggesting that kiwi can also be a new super-food for better sleep. A new research suggests that eating kiwifruit may have significant benefits for sleep.
In this research following, remarkable findings came up:
- People fell asleep more quickly by over 35%.
- People slept more soundly. Wakefulness fell nearly 30%.
- Sleep quality improved over 40%.
- People slept more overall. Total sleep time increased by 13 %.
These are some pretty huge improvements to quality, quantity and efficiency of sleep. And even though additional research is always required, but this is a pretty promising start.
What’s can possibly be behind these staggering results? There are a couple of characteristics of the fruit that may make it a strong sleep-promoting food: its high antioxidant levels and its high serotonin levels. The relationship between antioxidant foods and sleep is one we’re just beginning to understand.
Let’s not leave it here. If you suffer with poor sleep, let’s move from pondering to actions.
Ingredients for a silky everyday kiwi smoothie:
- 1 small apple, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 medium fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup Yoplait® 99% Fat Free creamy strawberry yogurt
- 1/3 cup apple juice
Now, over to you! Let’s test-drive this smoothie.
Recipe credit: www.bettycrocker.com